Thursday, January 2, 2020

Some running stats and what’s next

I use Strava to track all my runs and workouts (Ben had suggested it to me, think of it as sort of Facebook for athletes). What I like about Strava is I can take a look at historical data to see how I’m doing and find any trends. Because of that historical data, I knew right away my heart rate spikes were so wildly out of normal for me last fall.

I took a look at my running totals since joining Strava in June 2017 and I was very surprised at what I found.

For 2017, the data only covers my runs since June, when I joined Strava.


Here's 2018. I ran fewer overall runs with longer mileage. And of course I broke my pelvis in May so I didn't run for several months after that:



But take a look at 2019. I would not have guessed I ran that much this year. For so much of the year, I felt as though I would never get back to my previous distances and times, or the overall total. And it’s true, I haven’t yet gotten there. But I sure ran more than I thought I did.


So what’s next? Well I did it. I signed up for a full marathon, my first ever. 

I had wanted to run the Garmin Marathon here in the Kansas City area. I liked the half marathon I did at that event in 2018 and I also like that it’s a local race. But the race date this year is April 18. I’m leaving the country on Saturday for most of January (a work trip) and that will no doubt crater my running. I’ll be in Manila, where it’s quite hot and humid and the air quality isn’t the best, not to mention I don’t know how safe it will be to run (thinking of traffic, not other kinds of safety as I’ll actually be in a really nice, safe part of the city). That was stressing me out, thinking of trying to somehow get the training miles in so I’d be prepared. 

So instead I’ve signed up for Grandma’s Marathon on June 20 in Duluth MN. This marathon has a great reputation for being very well organized and a whole lot of fun. I did crack up when registering because one of the questions asked if I were a grandma. Apparently the first grandma to cross the finish line gets a prize. Isn’t that hilarious?

I've got two training plans I'm evaluating for my training and ironically, the one I slightly prefer calls for a half marathon race on April 18. So I may end up running the Garmin Half Marathon this year!

2 comments:

Wendy at Taking the Long Way Home said...

Congrats! I'm so excited for you to run your first marathon! I signed up for Grandma's 3 years ago and of course, that was when I was diagnosed with RA. I wasn't feeling well and while I could have probably done it, my heart wasn't in it. Grandma's doesn't let you defer, so I had to DNS.

Part of me wants to run Chicago again. But I don't know about training for it! So I'm kind of in limbo right now. I'll live vicariously through you...

edj3 said...

Oh heck, I'm hoping you pile on with advice!