Sunday, October 4, 2020

Way outside my comfort zone

 A couple of months ago, I saw an ad on Instagram for Shefit bras and was intrigued. I’ve always had problems finding sports bras that fit my band size and my chest. My band size is pretty small, about 30 inches, and most big box retailers don’t make sports bras that small. The few that do generally offer the pull-over-your-head kind. Those don’t work for me because if I can get it over my shoulders, it’s too big for around my ribs.

So I bought two of these bras and wow. I love them. In fact, I love them so much that when their marketing team sent an auto email asking me to review the bra, I did. Here’s what I wrote:

I was already difficult to fit in sports bras (small chest, bigger cup size) and then I had breast cancer. Now I've had a lumpectomy and radiation and my left breast is way different than my right. It doesn't matter with this bra--both sides are fully supported, there's no digging into painful spots and running no longer hurts my breasts. I'm glad I took a chance on this bra.

Friday, I got an email (not auto generated) from someone in their marketing team, and this is what she wrote:

I am reaching out on behalf of the SHEFIT marketing team. In support of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, we are sharing reviews from customers that have been affected by this disease and have found support by using SHEFIT Bra’s through their journey. Your review has been selected as one we would like to feature in our social channels. 

We are reaching out to request a photo of you in your SHEFIT to go along with your review. We can provide you with 1 free bra of your choice for taking part. However, if you do not feel comfortable, I totally understand. If you would like to share your social handles we can tag you in our post. 

Please send photos by Monday, Oct 5th.

My first reaction was heck no. I’m a 60 year old woman, not looking for fame and not an exhibitionist. But as I thought about it some more, I reconsidered. You see, one of the things that appealed to me about the brand was that the models weren’t all thin and white. They’ve got pretty good diversity there. But, and I shared this with the marketing person, what I haven’t seen is older women.

So Kent got some photos today, I sent three along to the marketing person and told her I was doing it because I think it’s important to show that there’s life after a breast cancer diagnosis, and that women of all ages can be fit.

Here’s what I sent (and be kind, this is not easy to show my nearly senior-citizen belly after two pregnancies and seven major abdominal surgeries!).

This one is my least favorite, although I don't hate it.


I like this one a lot.

Kent asked me to flex; this is his favorite photo and probably mine too.




1 comment:

Wendy at Taking the Long Way Home said...

Love, love, love the flex photo! You look so strong, my friend! 60? oh hell no! Congrats on the feature. You represent well.