Tuesday, October 20, 2020

So about those kittens

 This is kind of long so bear with me.

The first reason we got kittens was 100% me. I’ve seen a lot of pets on the various rescue sites whose owners died or had to move into assisted living and couldn’t keep their pets anymore. Their pictures just crush my soul, those animals are stressed and depressed and scared. When I think about my own life, I know that I always want to have kitties in my home. In my ideal state, my kitties would die like a week before I do or before I have to move into assisted living. But life isn’t always like that. Wally and Eddie are 13, so if I wait until they live out their full life span and assuming they live as long as Chloe did, I’ll be 67 when we’d be looking for another pair of cats. Then if those kitties live 20 years, well I don’t like the odds of them predeceasing me.

I know that it can be hard to bring just one cat into a home with resident cats, especially when they are as high strung and neurotic as Eddie and Wally. So I wanted a pair. That way they would always have each other.

Initially I looked for older cats as they’re both cheaper and in greater need. But as I inquired about them, they had health issues or other requirements that made integrating them into our home look pretty difficult. So I turned to kittens.


Here’s the other reason I wanted more kitties. This pandemic is taking a toll on everyone, me included. So many of the things Kent and I like to do are off the table and I’m feeling flat and apathetic. I’m sure it doesn’t help that I don’t even have the usual escape of running since my foot isn’t fully healed. The kittens are helping with that a lot. They’re absolutely hysterical in their kitten antics, and we’re both laughing a lot more these days. 

It’s still pretty daunting to have four cats. Right now, we keep the girls in the guest bedroom at night. That gives Wally his safe space with us in bed, and honestly it helps us too. After all, they’re kittens and they love to romp and play in the middle of the night. That doesn’t help us get a good night’s sleep. 


We’ve added a third litter box, which is in the guest bedroom too. The girls only use it at night, which makes us laugh. I bet they’d tell us they’re big kitties now and they’ll use the big kitties’ boxes, thank you very much. 

Annie has also had a prolapsed anus which hasn’t fully resolved (in fact, she’s at the vet today because she had a bloody stool last night and the prolapse was back again this morning). That brings back sad memories of Sammie, who only lived for seven more months after we adopted him when he was seven months old (he had feline infectious peritonitis which is always fatal). 

And having someone care for the cats when we do travel has now more than doubled. I booked kennel time for the girls at our vet’s as I’m not yet ready to have all four cats stay home alone with a once a day pet sitter visit. Stevie loves to chew wires, and Wally still intensely dislikes them both, so this seemed the wiser if more expensive path to take. 


Still, I’m super glad we got them. And yes, now I’m 100% a crazy cat lady as I’ve exceeded the formula: N + 1 where N equals the number of humans in the house. We were OK with three, but four? Yup, crazy cat people territory. 

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

Your kittens are wonderful, and I hope Wally eventually comes around the way Tristan did--he doesn't like the younger cats, but he tolerates them.

Wendy at Taking the Long Way Home said...

I think the kitties are so cute! I had cats when I was growing up but oddly I've developed a pretty strong allergy to cats.