Sunday, November 1, 2020

Hygge in Kansas

 Hygge is a Danish and Norwegian word for a mood of coziness and comfortable conviviality with feelings of wellness and contentment. I think of it as quiet satisfaction, and since Kent and I have been working from home for nearly eight months, we’ve –or maybe it’s more accurate to say I’ve—focused on making our home more comfy and cozy, more hygge. And we’ve done a lot!

In no particular order:

I got this because it made me laugh and also goes with the overall colors in our living/kitchen area.


Ding dong the pergola is GONE (and we do not miss it one bit).


I actually got these new house numbers in 2019 but we didn't do anything with them until this year so it counts.


Back yard without the pergola plus you can see our wonderful sun umbrella and the paint scheme.


Action shot of Kent doing I don't even remember what to the umbrella.


Completed paint job plus our new chairs (we also got the table but I'm too lazy to dig up that photo too).


I repainted the sun face (it was green and rusty). It really pops now.


I also repainted Fat Cat, he'd faded a lot and now he's a vivid part of the yar.


I ran two virtual half marathons and also did a COVID virtual challenge (but then of course that stupid bone in my foot broke). But it was all hygge until then.


Hummingbird feeder and a HUMMINGBIRD! I was so excited to see that!


So very many surprise lilies!


A small fountain, which we both love.


I got special mugs and started using the frother on our Ninja coffee maker. I do like a decaf latte.


A tidy solution for all our masks.

The big 72" cat tree. It's now in the second bedroom, and the kittens love it. The platforms are a bit small for our big boy cats.


Two COVID kittens. Definitely hygge.


Privacy screens for the litter boxes (they were in a kid's tent from IKEA, this is a lot less . . . gaudy).


A rowing machine. I made a cover for the rail so it doesn't get dusty, and the kittens think it's wildly fun to play with that fabric.


We reorganized the Billies at the end of our dining room and put a lot of our baking/cooking supplies in there. It's so much easier for me to get stuff now as I'm just 5'4 1/2" and need a step stool for the top shelves of the kitchen cabinets.


I got more cloth napkins, four each of the three you see below. We kicked the paper napkin habit years ago but I wanted prettier ones. 


New kitchen bar stools. Yes they are very orange, also comfortable and work really well in our home.


My office set up, which includes a second table to make an L shaped desk, a second monitor, and my office chair. 

This fabulous tea kettle. The color is ombre, getting darker toward the bottom of the kettle.


Our refurbished Vitamix (that's the chili paste for a pozole in there). So glad we got that.


And a bigger Breville than the one we had (which we passed along to one of Kent's co-workers who adores it). We adore this one and use it nearly every single day.



2 comments:

Jeanne said...

I like this post. I tried to "leave a reaction" on it three times, but for whatever reason, blogger is not letting me do it.

KD said...

I love all of this! We have similar tastes, though here in MI I've gone to more neutral colors with blue and red highlights. BTW, I have the same tea kettle. ;-)