Monday, December 30, 2019

Sometimes I get creative

We got our duvet cover from IKEA oh five or six years ago. It’s very calming, with neutral colors and no quilting. I bought a couple of them and made matching curtains from one set and we’ve used the other set on our bed.

See the holes?
As with many duvet covers, you can slip a down comforter inside and this one has a zipper across one end. We’ve never put a down comforter in ours for two reasons: one, it’s much easier to wash the duvet cover when you don’t have to wrest with a down comforter; and two, when (not if) a cat pukes on the bed, I’d rather have two layers of duvet cover before the down comforter.

But as you might imagine that zipper has stressed the fabric every time we’ve washed and dried the cover. It’s not premium fabric, it’s IKEA after all so it’s gotten holes across the bottom.

Unfortunately, IKEA no longer makes the same item. Instead they have a weird quilted packaged set with sheets and pillowcases. You can’t just get the duvet cover and it’s certainly not plain and flat, it’s quilted.

I’d been bummed about those holes and wasn’t sure what to do—I didn’t want to have to make new curtains again, plus I really like what we have. And then the other night, I realized I could piece together a band of fabric the width of our current cover, remove that zipper and stitch the band to the end. That would extend the life of the duvet cover and also give us more fabric at the top of the bed.

So that’s what I did. What’s interesting is how much whiter the duvet cover is than the fabric I used at the bottom. It doesn’t matter, all that gets tucked under the bed anyway, but I did find it funny.

No comments: