Sunday, December 29, 2019

Back to Bryn Mawr (briefly)

After we got home from our Thanksgiving visit with Ben and Jen, we flew out the following Friday to Bryn Mawr, PA. My younger brother had a significant birthday this month, and all his siblings and spouses flew in to surprise him at his mother’s house (she’s my stepmother).

We had a great, rowdy, boisterous visit over the four days we were there, and my brother Stephen was completely surprised by it. He told me later he saw me about the second person in and then it dawned on him—hey wait a minute, the whole family is here!

It was good to see everyone. Technically, the step-siblings aren’t my step-siblings any longer. Well legally anyway, but I’ve known them since I was three years old so they are absolutely family.

Church of the Redeemer
That Sunday I attended the church we all went to when I was little. It's a gorgeous building and I was so happy to see the parish is still flourishing. That was also the only Advent service I was able to attend this month, because the day after we got back from Bryn Mawr, I hopped on a plane for Las Vegas. That one was a work trip, and anyway I don't care for gambling nor do I drink much these days. So it was a long week.

At the end of those 10 days, I was thoroughly confused about what time zone I was in. We'd spent nearly a week in California, home here in Kansas for a few days (Central time zone), then four days in PA (Eastern time zone) and then I spent nearly a week in Las Vegas (Pacific time zone again).

Last weekend, we drove to Tulsa to see Kent's mother. She's in a nursing home and unable to travel so we make sure to celebrate Christmas with her. Kent's brother gets her room decorated in early December, which she loves, and we buy the presents from her to us then have fun opening them with her.

So this weekend is the first and only weekend I've been home this month. I won't lie, it's nice to be home if only for a couple of weeks.

Everyone, including spouses

Melissa (brother's GF), me, Jennifer

All the siblings plus my stepmother

Silly family--Kent, Erin, Matt in the back, then Jen, me, Pierce


No comments: