Saturday, December 28, 2019

Good-bye and good riddance

Bone growth stimulator
In March, my physiatrist prescribed a bone growth stimulator to help my broken pelvis recover better and faster. As I shared then, this is a medical device that could only be used once a day for 30 minutes; once I started using it on day 1, I had exactly 269 treatments left. At the end of the full 270 days, the device would turn into a piece of expensive inert trash.

On December 7, the device pulled it's version of Cinderella and is now dead. And I’m pleased to say I used that thing faithfully all but one day I was at home (we got home really late and I just said no). I even used it on the day I had the lumpectomy. The rest of the days I missed, I was traveling. The device can’t be put through any sort of TSA screening so thankfully I didn’t have to try to take it with me on those trips.

Altogether, I completed 243 of 270 treatments. And while I got really sick of using it (seriously, you cannot do anything other than stand or walk around awkwardly while wearing it), I hope my broken bone got the full benefit.

No comments: