Monday, November 4, 2019

Not sure what to do . . . any runners want to weigh in?

I'm still having issues with my heart rate while running. Last week, I got in just one so-called normal run on October 29 where my heart rate behaved. I tried two more times but ended up stopping almost immediately because of the spikes.

No heart issues w/ HIIT
Thing is, I signed up for a 10K this Saturday, and spent the money for VIP access. This race is held in a large park, and it's where the Great Plains 10K was in September. There were not nearly enough Porta Potties so I spent the money to get to the extra ones, plus a heated tent. So it would pain me greatly to lose the money without having had the fun of a race.

However, in addition to my heart rate spiking, now my blood pressure is doing wonky things. It's high for me: 148/72. I'm normally no more than 110 on the top number and in the low 60s for the bottom number. So this is definitely high.

The other oddity is that I've done HIIT this week with zero heart rate issues. I mean I'm going hard, very breathless and sweaty and my heart just clocks along in the 130s. I would suspect cadence lock for my heart rate while running only a week ago, I bit the bullet and got a chest heart rate monitor and it's showing the same spikes when I run.

The heart rate spikes may still be from tamoxifen. I'm four weeks out and it's one that hangs around. My blood pressure may be due to Prolia as this is a known side effect (see page two of this PDF).

If you're a runner and you were me, what would you do?
  • Bail on the race (would be my first ever did not start)?
  • Try and know I might have to stop (which would also be my first ever did not finish)? 

The other factor is I know this course now, since I ran it in September. We'll have two water stations and no way to do anything other than walk or trot back to the starting area. The course is a big loop and easily 2/3 of it is trail so it's not like anyone can fetch someone who's in trouble.

Kent's running the 5K there, so I'll be there anyway. I want to run this race, but I want to run it competitively and in a way that doesn't harm me. Decisions, decision.


No comments: