Wednesday, November 27, 2019

MOCSA Speaker's Bureau

I volunteer with MOCSA (Metropolitan Organization to Counter Sexual Assault) as a member of their speaker's bureau. I've spoken a handful of times, sometimes for their volunteer training or their Friends of MOCSA lunches.

I was asked to speak at the KU Medical Center's continuing education event in October, which was a great event. They specifically wanted to hear from a survivor of childhood sexual abuse about what would help/not help when we interact with our medical professionals.

Then earlier this month, I was invited to speak at a major fund-raising event in Johnson County. I was the closing speaker, and again invited to share my story with the focus on how important MOCSA is. The keynote speaker, whose notes I was able to see ahead of time, discussed the importance of education and also talked about how to identify grooming behavior and what appropriate steps to take if someone thought they saw that. So I tied my talk into hers, which I think helped make my portion better.

I always wonder if I'll be able to keep my composure when I speak, after all this is a very personal thing I'm sharing and the risk is real. Usually I do OK, but at this last event I received a standing ovation. Boy that undid me!

I've got two pictures from the event: in the first picture from back left is the CEO of MOCSA, the honorary chair who also happens to be the mayor of Leawood, where I live) and a news anchor for a local TV station who was the master of ceremonies. The two women sitting on the arms of the chairs are the chairs of the event. And the woman sitting on the far left was the keynote speaker. The second picture is during my talk. A friend who saw that said I look like I was testifying for Congress!



1 comment:

KD said...

I’m so proud of you! You are strong and brave, beautiful and inspiring. ❤️