Wednesday, October 30, 2019

A follow up to the heart rate stuff

I saw my medical oncologist’s physician’s assistant yesterday—first time I’d met her. Somehow the message I’d sent through the portal and was why the MO’s office set up that appointment yesterday, didn’t make it into why I was there. Frustrating.

Anyway, I recapped things with the nurse and then the PA:

Runner for decades, three things have changed in my world in the last few months. About 10 days after starting the tamoxifen, I started having heart rate spikes while running. Tamoxifen was the only thing I could stop and maybe see if that’s what caused the issue, even knowing that it’s got a half life of four to six weeks (meaning it sticks around that long after stopping the medication). Heart rate is better but still spikes but I also still have three of the very common side effects from tamoxifen.

Both the nurse and the PA asked how high my heart rate had spiked—176, 189, those were the two I shared. The PA said ok clearly that’s off because your pulse just now was 48. YES. THAT’S EXACTLY WHY I’M CONCERNED.

You can see this
morning's spike
For now I’m still not taking the tamoxifen. She said that indeed it can take four to six weeks for the drug to leave, and I’m just now at three weeks. She strongly recommended a stress test, so I’ve pinged my primary care physician for a referral.

Neither the PA or I expect any heart issues to show up; I’ve got no family history to speak of, and I’m in really good shape. But then again, I will never say never again. I also have no family history of melanoma, or breast cancer . . . and here I am.

Yesterday’s run was great: no heart rate spikes, decent times for what was intended to be an easy run and I even did negative splits. I tried running again this morning since we have snow coming later today, which will probably mean no running tomorrow. Within 10 seconds, my heart rate was up to 160. So things are slowly getting better but not fully resolved.

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

Don't you love it when the medical professional says "oh, clearly that's off" when that's exactly the point you're trying to bring to their attention?