Saturday, November 9, 2019

What a relief

I did run that 10K race today. I will confess I was extremely anxious this morning before the race started. Having already hurt myself running when I shouldn’t have, I was afraid I might be making the same mistake. I wasn’t going to wear the chest strap heart monitor, but Kent pointed out that if I ended up with cadence lock and my heart rate looked alarming, that would be not so good. So I wore it and fretted before the race started because my heart was racing from nerves. Also it was really cold with a wind that just cut through my clothes.

Enough about that . . . I’d set three goals for this race:

  1. Be smart and walk if my heart went nutty.
  2. Break one hour again
  3. Run at an average pace of 9:30 min/miles. 
I considered the last two goals to be probably out of reach since I haven’t been able to train the last three weeks. But a closed mouth doesn’t get fed so I set those goals anyway.

Long story not so long, I hit them all. I ran an average pace of 9:29, broke an hour and best of all had no heart rate issues. I mean not a one. My heart was Steady Eddie the whole way. AND in a pretty crowded 10K race of over 600 people, I placed third in my age group. Now that was a very unexpected and nice surprise!

Today marks five weeks off tamoxifen and I’m also seeing the other common side effects dwindling away. I’m still going to get those cardiac tests, they’re scheduled, and I would rather make sure all’s well with my ticker. Plus I’ve hit all my deductibles this year and I’d rather not start next year with expensive tests. In fact, I hope for a very boring year for my health (and Kent’s too).

1 comment:

Wendy at Taking the Long Way Home said...

Hoping for a boring year, health-wise, for you too! Congrats on a very uneventful race!