Saturday, April 13, 2019

March 29 to April 12

I get an annual mammogram every March—I never make an appointment; I just go when my work calendar is less busy and get there first thing for the walk-in clinic. I’ve always been told I have dense tissue, and in the last five or so years, they always ask if I want a 3D mammogram (extra charge) or a 2D (free under my insurance). I’ve always opted the 2D and figured if something looked wonky, they’d call me back and we’d go from there.

This year, sometime in that last week of March, I read an article that said the FDA had changed their recommendation for women with dense breast tissue and now recommend 3D mammograms, rather than 2D. With that in mind, when I went for my annual check on Friday, March 29 and they asked if I wanted a 3D mammogram for $30, for the first time ever I said yes.

Monday morning (April 1), I got a call saying that I needed a diagnostic mammogram, that the radiologist had seen something. My work calendar that week was insane except for that afternoon, so I asked if they had any openings that same day and incredibly, they did (very unusual).

That afternoon, I got the diagnostic mammogram, and then an ultrasound. The radiologist didn’t see anything alarming on the mammogram but found a suspicious lump with the ultrasound. She told me I would need that biopsy I mentioned in my last blog post.

In another incredible fluke, I was able to get the biopsy done that Friday (April 5), just one week after the first mammogram. The radiologist told me the results would take three to five days so I figured I would know in a week.

But Tuesday morning (April 9), she called with the results: breast cancer. She answered all my questions and said a nurse navigator would be calling me to set up the next series of appointments.

Sure enough later that morning I got a call and in yet another freakishly fortunate event, I got an appointment with the multi-care disciplinary team that Friday (yesterday, April 12) at 1 PM.

In two weeks, I went from a regular annual test to a cancer diagnosis and a care team. To say my head is spinning is an understatement. I’ll share all my news from yesterday’s appointments in the next post, just know it’s not the worst scenario. It’s not lovely but it’s not ultra grim.

1 comment:

Wendy at Taking the Long Way Home said...

Although the news is not good, It is good that the team caught it on your routine mammogram. This is why we need to do this! I"ll be following your journey. Thank you for sharing.