Saturday, February 17, 2018

Sweetheart 10K race

This race was originally scheduled for last Saturday, but as I mentioned, the City of Overland Park called a snow emergency; when that happens, they won’t provide support for races, and the races can’t be held without the support. So it was rescheduled for today.

The weather was far yuckier today than last Saturday (which was merely frigid). I woke up to a wintery mix, which turned to a bit of snow and then sleet and then rain, all within an hour’s time. I’d planned to run a warm up couple of miles around 7 but at that point it was raining.

I decided I’d try to warm up at the racing venue instead, since everything was supposed to start drying up around 8:30. Unfortunately, the only thing my warm up run did was get my feet soaking wet. I mean they were squelching! Temps were in the low 30s and we had a good wind from the west, so the wind chill was in the upper 20s. Brrr.

Still, the rain had stopped which was good. Here I am under the orange arrow with the super bright pink ball cap on as we started:


And at the finish:

Huh, I thought the clouds had cleared out more than that.
And my official times:


My three goals for this 10K were:

  • Don’t injure myself—most important goal. Achieved!
  • Finish the race—so that reinforces the first goal because I can’t finish if I hurt myself. Achieved!
  • If possible, keep my pace under 10 minutes per mile. Achieved! And I'm so tickled, my average pace per mile was 9:05.

My official chip time for the 10K was 56:22:9, I came in second in my age group, 26th out of all females and 59th out of the 249 who ran the 10k. I joked with Kent that I keep improving, and still keep coming in second in my age group. We looked at the results for the younger women, and I’d have won a couple of them. What can I say, I’m in a fast age group.

That is the blingiest finisher's medal I've ever seen.
Next up, I won an entry to the Big 12 races on March 10 from my employer, so I'll be running a (hilly) 12K proudly wearing a Jayhawk cap. And I'm fully focused on the first of three half marathons on April 14. 

No comments: