Sunday, February 11, 2018

Catching up, part 1

When I changed positions at my job last summer, I also moved into a role with different busy times of the year. I’m in that busy time now (it started in October) and I’ll be there through April. When work is crazy, it takes more of my energy and I just can’t muster up the ability to write and post an update.

So I’m picking away at these updates a little at a time, mostly because I like being able to look back over the course of the year and see what I’ve done or not done and what I was thinking and feeling about stuff.

Today’s catch up is about the weather. Yes, I’m so lame and I’m turning into that old lady who talks about the weather. Last winter, I griped because we didn’t have enough deep freezes to kill the weeds and the oak mites (you might remember I got chewed up by oak mites this past fall, and that was just pure misery). Well not to worry this year. We’ve had weeks and weeks with temps below freezing, and plenty of days where we never broke into the 30s.

Since this is Kansas, we also get wind which makes things even more miserable. I’ve had two winter races postponed and/or canceled this year. The Hangover Half made sense—that day, the temps were life-threateningly cold. But yesterday’s race was moved because the city of Overland Park completely spazzed out and initiated their emergency snow protocols on Friday, and refused to support the race Saturday morning. We got nothing on Saturday, and this is what I woke up to this morning:


And here’s a photo of the roof-top pool I can see from my desk at work. If you look closely, you’ll see that the three fountains are nearly frozen. I have no idea why that pool wasn’t drained because it’s clearly not heated. At various points last month, I saw maintenance guys chipping away at the ice with pool cleaners (you know, those long poles with nets?), and pick axes. Yes, pick axes. Seems like it might easier to just drain the darn thing.



No comments: