Monday, February 12, 2018

Catching up, part 2

My brother and I have birthdays that are just three weeks apart (he’s 11 months younger). This year, we invited him and his wife to dinner with us—unfortunately she had to make an emergency trip out of town, so we didn’t get to see her. But we did get to see Doug.

Since his birthday was just a couple of days after our get-together, I wanted to make him food that might remind him of fun times we had as kids, so I asked Kent to make chicken pot pie.



When Doug and I were little, we loved those awful chicken pot pies, you know the ones you get in the frozen food section, that are dirt cheap and made with chicken parts (best not to ask which parts), pasty gluey gravy, some weak pathetic carrots and peas, and of course the top crust?

I’ll be honest, the crust was the part I loved. I liked to pry the crust up as one piece and then eat it separately; the best crusts were the ones that got pretty brown around the edges. Then I’d sort of pick at the rest of the pot pie and eat some of it but mostly push it around in the little pot pie tin.

Doug and I used to play a game when we would eat dinner. We’d put our arms on the table around our dishes so we kind of encircled our own dishes, and then we’d pretend we were running away by paddling our feet. I’m sure we drove mom crazy because we’d make our feet run (which was noisy) and then laugh hysterically as only small kids can do.

Anyway, for dessert I made a chocolate cake. Doug always chose chocolate cake for his birthday (I always chose plain angel food cake, nothing on it), so I made him a cake. I think he had a good time, and I know I did.

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

That pot pie looks delicious.