Thursday, January 17, 2019

Still without internet plus a tiny rant

We lost internet but thankfully not power last Saturday when we got eight plus inches of heavy snow. In my neighborhood, if a squirrel farts we lose power so this is overall a good thing. Supposedly we will get reconnected this afternoon, although I'm dubious.

In the meantime, let me just go on record as saying I hate ankle pants especially in the winter. They may look cute in the summer with sandals and bare ankles and all that. But screw that in the winter, I want socks, and then that just looks stupid. Plus I get pulled back to something that happened in fifth grade while I attended the base elementary school at McConnell Air Force Base.

I'd gone through a growth spurt as kids do, so all my pants were now high water (aka ankle) pants. My class was lined up in the hallway for something or other, don't remember that detail, when one of my classmates pointed out my fashion faux pas. I mumbled something or other and put on my best "don't care" face in hopes things would stop after the one comment. Well you know it didn't, the rest of the class got into the act and it was just a miserable few minutes there in that hallway.

I've been pretty self-conscious about that sort of thing ever since and generally refuse to wear ankle pants in the winter. However, it's practically impossible to find trousers or anything other than skinny ankle pants that aren't frumptastic. Which is a rant for another day because I do think this fashion trend is one that (a) should die and (b) was created merely to save fabric costs when making women's clothing. Same thing with the ridiculous necklines on everything.

PS: Want to know why women are colder than men in the winter? Look at the shirts we can buy and see how much skin is exposed. Men, you'd be cold too if those were your options.

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

The college students go around all winter with bare ankles and it makes me feel cold just looking at them. I think they need ankle scarves https://rare.us/rare-humor/ankle-scarves/