Thursday, January 20, 2011

Send more gnomes

We use a gnome we got at Target to hold the iron security gate open during the day. Our apartment is a "garden" apartment, which means we don't have a lot of windows--in fact we have just three. Two are normal sized and are in our living room, and one is a small window at the bottom of a window well and is in our bedroom. So our back door is mostly glass just to give us more light and more scenery. I sure don't want to look through bars because I don't need to add jail to the cave atmosphere we have going on. So the gnome is on duty every day, holding that door open.

I think we need gnomes to hold open both doors into the bathroom. You can get to our bathroom through the hall or through our bedroom:



And because it's a tight fit, both doors are split doors so they don't have latches on the sides or proper handles. Instead they sort of lock in at the top. We chose split doors to keep the visual and physical obstructions down. Previously the door between our bedroom and the bathroom hit my closet in the bedroom, and the hall bathroom door obstructed half of the doorway into our bedroom.

Well Mr. Wally has figured out if he bangs one half of a door against the wall, it wakes me up and then I pat my side of the bed so he can stop banging the door and get some petting. He's been doing this more frequently and last night was the worst: four separate incidents BANG BANG BANG. I am not amused and I need to find a better solution than the damn cat training me to reward him when he wakes me up at night.

6 comments:

Jeanne said...

I drape a blanket or some clothing over the top of a door when the cats start banging doors at night. They can still swing it, but it doesn't make noise.

edj3 said...

I hadn't thought of that solution. So far all I'd come up with was parking the laundry detergent bottle on one side and the fabric softener bottle on the other side. But I could just see us tripping over them if we got up for some reason in the middle of the night.

FreshHell said...

That is a small space for two people and three cats. I'm not sure what a "split" door is but I do know how annoying it can be to have a bathroom with doors leading into two rooms. Our "master" bath is like that and if both doors are closed and the air goes on, one of them rattles in the frame. I have to wedge a piece of cardboard in the space to make it stop.Drives me crazy. We have the cat problem solved because Pokey goes out at night. Of course, there's Red....

edj3 said...

FreshHell, each door is two panels, instead of being one solid panel. So it opens almost like swinging gates. And yes, it's not a lot of room for us and the kitties. We most notice it because of the fur everywhere.

FreshHell said...

Oh, okay. Too bad they aren't pocket doors. That'd be a great space saver and would flummox those cats!

edj3 said...

We considered them during the flood renovation but door into the hallway doesn't have a wall it could slide into without violating code somehow (dryer requires venting and the door would have interfered with that). But we did think about it.