Sunday, January 16, 2011

Of wrists and watches

I thought I’d have an interesting post about wrist size and my complaint against most watch makers but as it turns out, I do not.

I bought a watch from Amazon (you can see it here ), for four reasons. First, I like how it looks—it has a small face and I don’t have large wrists and sometimes watch faces look silly on my wrists. Second, it’s silver (I don’t wear yellow gold). Third, when reviewers mentioned the watch, they said it was great for people with small wrists. Finally, although it's more than I normally spend on a watch, it wasn't stupidly expensive.

So I ordered it. It’s definitely exactly how it’s pictured on Amazon, it’s silver BUT there is no way it fits small wrists. The watch measures eight inches long! Then I got curious about whether or not I even have small wrists but so far everything I’ve turned up online indicates my wrists are solidly average.

And that's why I don't really have an interesting post. My wrist measure six and one-half inches around and on most sites, that's listed as average. Given that mine are supposedly average size, I have no idea why bracelets and watches never fit my wrists.

I'm keeping the watch and I’ll get it re-sized because I do like everything else about it. I just don’t want a watch I can slide over my hand. That’s ridiculous.

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

I used to have the opposite problem--if I had to buy a watch, I'd get a man's watch, because my wrists are quite big. Finally I gave up on wearing watches entirely and succumbed happily to the modern method of using a cell phone to tell time.

edj3 said...

You are also quite tall and yes, I am a bit jealous. I can and do use my phone a lot. But if I'm in a meeting or I'm the one delivering a presentation or training session, it's nice to take a quick (hopefully discreet) look at my watch to make sure I'm not blowing the schedule.