Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Why I like Crossfit, specifically Change Now

Last summer I’d joined a Crossfit-esque gym run by a woman who’s a national expert in exercise for cancer survivors. I loved the classes, loved the atmosphere and was gutted when she decided to retire early and travel around with her husband.


I knew I wanted to keep this kind of workout going so I looked for other options. I found a Crossfit gym that’s a lot closer to us plus it has 5:15 AM classes 4 days a week, which our previous gym did not (plus it was a good 20 minute drive away). I am most definitely a very early morning workout person so Kent and I decided to check it out.


The woman who owns this box had been out of shape and overweight most of her life. Then about 9 or 10 years ago, she decided she wanted to get in shape. In 2019, she opened her own Crossfit box.


What I love about this box has a lot to do with her:

  • Form always over hitting achievements
  • Encouragement but also pushing when needed
  • She never gives up on us

I also really like it that I am doing things I’m horrible at doing. Case in point: 

  • Jump rope. Let me tell you, the first workout of the day that used jump rope about did me in. As I told the coach that day, it had been well over half a century since I jumped rope. I’m terrible at it. But I’m going to get better.
  • Also things like pull ups, or a devilish push up variation called an Archer ring row push up (we did those today, I most definitely modified it).
  • Oh or the work out that had a total of 350 air squats. Boy I felt those for nearly a week.
  • And Saturday we did 50 Romanian split squats with weights. Hard but good.

I relish the challenge, I love that I’m getting stronger and best of all, my left wrist is improving.


No comments: