Sunday, November 21, 2021

Whatever happened to Linda Schwartz?

Last night on the drive from La Guardia to our hotel on Times Square, I thought of Linda Schwartz. I hadn’t thought of her in years, well decades actually.

She was married to Rick’s youngest brother, Ron and was from some pretty serious money here in New York. In 1979, after Rick and I got married that December, we spent some time with Ron and Linda up here (they weren’t married yet but were engaged). I vividly remember going to her parents’ penthouse apartment overlooking Central Park—the elevator just opened right in their space, no need for a separate hall or anything as they had the entire floor. She came from that kind of money.

But she wasn’t happy, I don’t know what the pain was from but it was there and she and Ron didn’t have a good relationship. Let’s be clear, he wasn’t happy either and I have a much better sense of where his pain came from, so this isn’t a bash Linda story.


What stays with me the most, all these years later, are two things:

  • She didn’t care for the ring Ron bought her. If I recall correctly, it was 14k gold and she wanted 18k gold. So she replaced the ring herself. I always thought that didn’t bode well for them. There’s nothing wrong with wanting something different, it’s the not talking about it that seemed to indicate things weren’t going to end well.
  • When Ben was born, she was livid about the name. That was the name she was going to use for her (as yet unborn, not even a glimmer on the horizon) son. That baffled me. OK name your kid the same thing, it will be confusing but there are worse things and oh by the way, that sure wasn’t aimed at you. But she took it as an attack.

I think they limped along together for about 8 years, maybe a bit longer, and had two children, one of each I think. But that’s all I know.

No comments: