Sunday, January 24, 2021

Scope creep

Or how a sewing project grows and becomes more complicated.

This project all started with a reminder from a woman who was my niece by marriage years ago (I never know if a divorce ends that relationship but saying ex-niece or former niece seems so weird). She asked me on Facebook if I’d made a doll for her when she was a little girl. That stirred a long-ago memory—in fact I had made her a doll. She’s still got it which blew me away because that doll has to be close to 35 years old.

Well, our youngest granddaughter turns 1 tomorrow so after that reminder from my niece, I thought oh hey, I’ll make Grace a doll! That would be pretty cool. I found a pattern online (no time to have one shipped and I’m not shopping at brick & mortar stores these days) and ordered some fabric and notions for curb side pick-up. I was ready to get started two weeks ago except I had that violent flare of Meniere’s and lost the entire weekend.

No worries, I started back in last weekend. Here’s where the scope creep came in: Kent made Grace a really cute octopus for Christmas, so I asked him to make a smaller version for her doll to have as a toy. 

Then I thought it would be really cool if I made Grace a dress to match the dress I’d be making for her doll. 

And then I thought, well the pattern has a tiny little shoe pattern so wouldn’t that be really cute? 

Oh and the doll has little hair ties and I think I can squeeze out a bow headband for Grace too!


I wish I'd gotten a better photo of the tiny little shoes, they are really cute. And the octopus is just wonderful.

Here's the dress for Grace, with the doll in the background. I don't know if the hair bow/band will work but hey, we gave it a go.

And that is how you scope creep a sewing project, one (baby) step at a time.


1 comment:

Wendy at Taking the Long Way Home said...

I've never heard the term "scope creep" before. Turned out so cute!