Monday, May 18, 2020

People keep asking me

Is it a stress fracture?

Which is annoying me all out of proportion to the question. I know why people are asking, they’re genuinely concerned, that’s all. But I got the same question when I fractured my pelvis and so now for Broken Bone 2.0, it’s annoying. Plus I'm cranky because I'm in pain.

Also I didn’t know what the difference was between a stress fracture and an acute fracture. I mean the bone is broken either way, so what difference does it make? Still, I was curious so turned to Dr. Google.

From this article I learned the following:
  • Stress fractures usually cause a progressive increase in pain that is worse with activity. This lines up with what happened when I fractured my pelvis. It started hurting a few weeks before that last race, and then boom, I could no longer walk. I think it was breaking for a couple of weeks.
  • Acute fractures typically have a sudden onset, with swelling and ecchymosis (otherwise known as bruising). And this is what happened to me on Saturday. I had zero pain in my foot and then boom, I had a lot of pain. Once I got home and took off my shoe, my foot started swelling and it’s still swollen. Normally my feet are scrawny bony things but right now you can’t see a dang bone across where my toes come into my foot. It’s Puffyville all the way. 
There’s a potential for something called a Lisfranc injury of the foot. Two months ago, I went to Urgent Care because of pain and swelling on the top of my foot. It hasn’t fully resolved so who knows, maybe that’s going on too.

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

So sorry. I think people ask what kind is it and how did it happen in an attempt to assert control, like they can prevent it from happening to them if they figure out exactly how it happened to you. Just because that doesn't work doesn't mean people will stop trying.