Sunday, July 14, 2013

I was fearless then

The first thing I ever sewed was a sleeveless jumper with a zipper in the back and decorative trim down the front. My mother had signed me up for a sewing class, five or six group lessons I believe, and I was 10 years old. The next thing I sewed was a straight dress, again sleeveless – this time with no zipper but it did have a sash at the waist. I was 16 and did it in one night. In fact I was in such a hurry, I used Stitch Witchery for the hem, something I will not use any more.

And from there, things took off and I was pretty much fearless. I made myself tops, and dresses and even a two piece swim suit. I was very proud of that suit because I’d had to add quite a bit of material to the bra portions. I was sort of nervous about that, only because I’d never altered a pattern before but it turned out OK.

I sewed most of my maternity clothes for both pregnancies and made a winter coat, a hat, countless tops, dresses, curtains and pajamas for my sons. But somewhere along the way, I lost my fearless ways. Darts began to intimidate me, I got very nervous about whether or not I could actually make whatever it was I was making. So I drifted over to more crafts-oriented projects – like bags.

But yesterday something changed for me. I bought a blouse pattern that’s pretty fitted (four darts in front, two in back!!). And I made it from fabric I had on hand. I’m pleased to say it fits and I like it, I really like it. (By the way, I think the reason the pattern is called young is because it's cut a little on the shorter side. Since I'm short waisted, that works out well for me.)



So next up, I’m going to sew a dress. The bodice is pretty fitted on this one too, with the princess seams I whined about in 2011. Hopefully I won’t screw it up. Even if I do, at least I’m trying.

No comments: