Monday, May 28, 2012

Um thanks but

Memorial Day isn't the day to thank veterans for their service. In fact, Memorial Day isn’t about me or any of the other veterans still living. It’s to honor those who died while serving in the military.

Those of us who served have a day already: Veteran's Day. If you still want to thank me, give me a shout on November 11.

You can read more about Memorial Day here, here and here

For Veteran's Day information, go here, here and here

I just had to get that off my chest. And for those who already thanked me this weekend for my service, you're welcome and really, you don't need to thank me any more. It's all good.


3 comments:

Harriet said...

We were just talking about this and how it used to be called Decoration Day.

edj3 said...

I learned a lot just reading through the few links I provided. The history of Memorial Day was especially fascinating.

lemming said...

The discussion section for the Memorial Day entry on Wikipedia is quite interesting too, and worth a read.