Tuesday, May 4, 2010

A very random list

I wrote this last week while I was in Wisconsin. I’d never been there before and found it to be remarkably like the Kansas City area in terms of geography. I’m sure the winters are more extreme, and maybe the summers are hotter. I felt positively nostalgic when I saw typical Midwestern sights while I was there—I saw billboards for Love’s truck stop, the Black Cat Fireworks stores and I stayed in a Holiday Inn that probably hasn’t been redecorated since the 1960s. I took a video just so you could see the horribleness of the room, but apparently I deleted it. The room had both a king size bed and a Murphy's bed and the ceiling was in three distinct pieces like a modular home. Very odd.

Wednesday night I had dinner at Ed’s Tee Pee Supper Club. Seriously, that was the name. I was really surprised to walk into the restaurant and see people smoking there. I guess I’ve lived in Boston long enough to forget about smoking in a restaurant.

Friday as I headed south to Madison, I almost hit a turkey as it took off flying low over the road. I’ve never seen a wild turkey flying and I struggled to make sense of what I was seeing—almost to the point of hitting the damn thing.

I’m glad I got to visit a part of the Midwest I haven’t seen before. I was also very glad to get home again. I’ll be gone for two weeks this month so having a week at home first is refreshing.

This list is pretty random and consists mostly of things that make me go “huh?”
  • I don’t get smoking as something pleasurable.
  • I am completely baffled by couples who share a Facebook page. You really need to be that enmeshed?
  • The same thing is true for email addresses. Come on, they are free, get your own.
  • I will never understand sports fans who so hate another team that they threaten physical harm to the players or the fans—and seem to mean it.
  • I don’t get people who relocate to be near grandchildren. Are you that positive your children want you that close by? And what happens if they move?
  • Why do people wear pajamas out in public; for example, to run errands or go to class?
  • Why does one of my cats drool when he’s apparently very happy?
  • What makes someone think it’s a good idea to hold a personal telephone call while in a public bathroom?

7 comments:

Ron Griggs said...

One of our cats drools when she is totally stressed, such as for a visit to the vet. Buckets. So perhaps any strong emotion, good or bad, can set off drooling.

We knew people who moved in two houses up to be near their daughter and grandchildren, who lived across the street. Of course, a year later their daughter and grandchildren moved. Oops.

Judith said...

Maybe your kids don't want you that close, but it's not about your kids - it's about the grandkids. I can say this because, so far, we have not moved. Mom

edj3 said...

Wally hisses at the vet's or when his brother bites him really hard. But when he's completely enjoying a petting session or when he's near catnip, he drools.

Mom, I know people think it's about the grandkids but I think it's about them. I know some families are really that close but generally they already live practically next door. I'm talking about people my age who uproot their own lives to move near the granchildren. I don't get that.

Ben Shear said...

I am with you about the email thing. I don't get why couples share an email address. It's as if they think that if they combine forces they may be able to figure out this whole 'electronic mail thingy' together (same for facebook).

Jeanne said...

How many people your age do you know who are already grandparents??

edj3 said...

More than a few from our high school class! And a couple of them are positively insane about their grandchildren.

Unknown said...

The shared Facebook/e mail thing is ridiculous. Either you are too enmeshed, or you have trust issues.

The pajamas thing drives me nuts too. I never once wore sweats to class, and I still refuse to wear them in public. Especially in the summer, you see people at stores, and I want to tell them, "Cover yourself. Have some pride."

There's no such thing as phone etiquette. People think you should be privvy to every single detail of their lives, whether you want to be or not.