Friday, March 27, 2009

Restaurant review and bonus kitty pics

Last night we gave Metropolis a try, walking through cold drizzle to get there. As part of his increased commitment to a healthier lifestyle, Kent walked from work which is about a 30 minute walk. Fortunately his coat has a hood since he didn’t bring an umbrella. I had an umbrella (thanks, Mom!) so stayed dry although not warm on my walk.

We split the price fixe menu down the middle. I had the butternut squash bisque, the pasta, and the mini cannolli, while Kent had the antipasto, the char and the pear. Overall the food was good, although not stellar. I found the bisque a little too squashy-tasting. I couldn't taste the green apple or toasted sage even with a big leaf of the sage floating most artistically in my soup. I did taste the smoked prosciutto, and the soup needed that to help calm down the squash flavor. Kent’s antipasto had fantastic grilled artichoke hearts and he said the avocado was amazingly fresh. The rest of his dish was fine but again not stellar.

His char was fantastic. If you have never had char and get a chance to try it, you should. As our server said, char has the skin of trout and the flesh of salmon, although not as rich or fatty-tasting. Kent said the ratatouille tapenade on the top didn’t enhance the dish so he ate it separately. My pasta was the hit of the evening. Think of the most delicious flat noodle pasta dish with chicken you’ve ever had, comforting but different all at the same time—that’s what my pasta was like. I couldn’t finish it so Kent did, and loved it too.

Our desserts were good but I will never understand why chefs insist on adding fruit to chocolate—its just not necessary and in my opinion, the mini cannollis suffered from adding the orange to the chocolate. The pear was good, and I want to know where Metropolis gets their cinnamon stick. That was the most intense-tasting cinnamon I’ve ever had.

Now for the bonus pictures. Usually Eddie takes his morning nap on the top of the cat perch (he’s there even as I write this), but on Tuesday he was a cat on a mission. He ran into the bedroom, found Wally curled up snoozing away and practically threw himself on Wally, draping his arm over Wally’s back. Pretty cute, don’t you think?

1 comment:

Jen Shear said...

Those kitties are just TOO cute!