Thursday, January 1, 2015

2014 in review

I’m a day late in getting my review of 2014 written and posted, but that’s OK. One of the lessons for me this year was to relax and follow Kent’s leaf-on-a-stream approach a little more in life. It’s all well and good to be disciplined and get stuff done, but it’s equally important to enjoy the trip.

Using mostly the same questions I’ve used in previous year end reviews, here’s my take on 2014.

What did you do in 2014 that you’d never done before? I didn’t spaz out after quitting my job in December 2013. In fact, I seem to be doing just fine on the job front, which has helped a ton with me relaxing.

Did anyone close to you give birth? Yes – more of our dear Boston friends had or are going to have babies. That’s the stage of life they are in and I expect we’ll see a few more babies from that group.

Did anyone close to you die? No one close to me has died; all’s quiet on that front.

What countries did you visit? Mexico, England, and Germany. We didn’t take as many Crazy Trips™ this year, mostly because I’m working as an external consultant and if I don’t work, I don’t get paid.

What would you like to have in 2015 that you lacked in 2014? Well, I’d love to have this low frequency hearing loss magically resolve, but that’s not likely to happen.

What dates from 2014 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? Again, this wasn’t a dramatic OMG kind of year, so here are some highlights not covered by other questions:

  • I was diagnosed with moderate low frequency hearing loss (reverse slope). Looking back, it’s clear I’ve had this hearing loss for a long time; without realizing I do it, I’ve accommodated it for years. 
  • This was a rather solitary year for me because K was out of the country every other week beginning the first of July. While I dislike him being gone like that, he’s really good at his job and enjoys the work he does and of course it’s always a plus to remain gainfully employed.
  • I injured my piroformis and had some shoulder issues due to overly tight muscles, so I’ve been in rehab for several months. It’s slow going and has meant no running, which is horrible for me. I’m diligent and disciplined about the rehab exercises and hope this all gets resolved sooner rather than later. 

What was your biggest achievement of the year? This will sound like bragging, but teaching my granddaughter to sew tops the list. I was so afraid I would get impatient and then she'd hate sewing and me but we had a great time.

Did you suffer illness or injury? Sadly, yes I did with the butt muscle and the shoulder issue. I haven’t really been sick, but I’ve had several bouts of awful vertigo, the kind that makes me puke for hours.

What was the best thing you bought? We made the switch to messenger style bags for traveling, which has been wonderful. Since they are squishy, they will fit into any overhead bin. That suits our travel style perfectly.

Whose behavior merited celebration? I’ll go ahead and sound arrogant—this year, it’s my behavior that deserves the celebration. In addition to emulating Kent’s more mellow nature, I have also aimed higher in my job aspirations. Typically women do not apply for jobs that might be a stretch in terms of qualifications or amount of experience. Last month, I’ve done something most men would do without a second thought and applied for the higher position of two similar jobs (one is an analyst role, and the other, higher level role is consultant). My experience doesn’t exactly match what’s required for the higher level job but I definitely exceed the lower level job. As someone I know often says, a closed mouth doesn’t get fed.

Where did most of your money go? Travel and fabric again. Also dinners out at Story (pricey but oh so good).

What did you get really excited about? Last year’s trip to Cancun was just what we needed, when we needed it. We hope to go again this winter.

What song will always remind you of 2014? Definitely this one (and all the related parodies of it):



1 comment:

Jeanne said...

I raise a toast to your aspirations!