Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The way we do things around here

Although we lived in Boston just four (me) and five (Kent) years, we got used to the way some things were done there.

I still despise
Brussels sprouts
For example, in MA the insurance agents are the ones who get your license plates. I most definitely missed that when I had to register my car here. I also miss the much lower tax rate – think it’s 5% there, and it’s 8% here. Ouch.

Here’s another one. When you buy or sell a home in MA, there’s a stipulation that the place will be left “broom clean” by the sellers. I think we should add that to any offer we make on a home purchase.

Or how about this – people don’t talk on their cell phones in restaurants in Boston. I mean not at all. They go outside if they need to take a call. That’s just proper manners to me, but it’s not the norm here.

It took a long time to realize that if I ordered a steak medium rare in Boston, the damn thing would be practically mooing at me. It was very hard to get over the reluctance to order it done medium because in Kansas City, that’s getting close to shoe leather territory.

Yum!

I also saw a lot more blueberries and Brussels sprouts in the grocery stores in New England. Oh and cranberries. That sort of makes sense because both are more native to the area than they are here. Here, though, the fresh corn is much, much better although my New England friends didn’t believe me. That’s OK, I think Dunkin Donuts coffee is utterly vile.

4 comments:

Magpie said...

Hmm. If I give you a recipe for Brussels sprouts, would you try them? They are fresh and crunchy and more salad-like than one usually gets. This recipe converts people.

http://www.magpiemusing.com/2010/11/cranberries-and-brussels-sprouts.html

Dunkin coffee is vile, and their donuts, sadly, have become mediocre.

edj3 said...

Hmmm. Maybe :-)

Anonymous said...

Nothing is better than fresh New england corn -- maybe it's just tough and old by the time it gets to Boston. Down in Marion it's heaven on a cob -- but we eat it the same day it's picked.

Anonymous said...

And you have to go to Maine for a doughnut, as far as I can tell.