Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Stupid brain tapes

Today at breakfast, someone commented he could tell I work out. Instantly in my mind, I utterly discounted what he said.

I got the same sort of comment two weeks ago in Wisconsin, and also the week before in Oregon—all three comments, while they made sense in the conversation, weren't because I led the conversation down that path. For example, the one in Oregon was because I really struggled with the altitude and dryness there, which was a first for me, and the recruiting manager said he was surprised because clearly I was fit. All three have been that way, believe me I'm not fishing for a compliment.

Yet I discounted all three comments immediately. Every single one. Why do I do this? Why can’t I change my mental image to incorporate the fact (yes, fact) that I am fit?

Stupid brain.

2 comments:

KD said...

Keep repeating a new tape. Cuz girl you are fit, and you have earned it.

I think of you EVERY time I do roll-ups in Pilates the day you were able to go all the way up. I was so proud of you. Most people with THAT many abdominal surgeries would never even try to get their muscles back.

edj3 said...

When you cheered me on that day (and I will never forget either), I was so moved--your support meant the world to me. I miss you my friend.