Friday, March 20, 2009

And the winners were . . .

Here's the scoop from our dinner out last night.

Kent and I both had the Grilled Portabella Mushroom Carpaccio for our appetizers. We'd both give this dish a solid A+ and I am on the hunt for a similar recipe. Truly it was amazing.

For our entrees, Kent had the Grilled Marinated Hanger Steak and said it was an A- only because the steak was fairly small. I had the Sautéed Chicken Scallopine and managed to eat half of it. I'd rate it A+ also, and wow was the chicken tender, I really need to learn how to get chicken breasts that tender. Of course the risotto was fantastic (although definitely NOT low fat).

For dessert, Kent now says he wishes he had gotten the Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Pie, but he didn't. He chose the S’mores Bread Pudding. I had a taste of it and while it wasn't awful, it was very sweet. I think it would have been far better if it had been made with dark chocolate rather than milk chocolate. Kent rated it a C, and said it was too generic, with nothing special about it other than the charred marshmallows. I had the lemon bars. I've never had lemon bars before so I wasn't sure what to expect. They were OK, again nothing to write home about. I'd rate them a B, mostly because they did have flavor and I liked the combination of lemon bar with raspberry sauce.

While we both loved the appetizer and the entrees, I'm not convinced that Union shines at dessert. They gave us a coupon for a similar deal next month so we will go back and see if that's still true.

Man I love eating out in Boston!

No comments: