Friday, October 29, 2021

When the answer is not clear

I have what may be competing goals:

  • Run one (just one) marathon successfully
  • Break no more bones

And I’m not sure how to decide. Normally I’d run off and ask my medical care team only here’s something I’ve noticed. I’m not sure if this is age or gender bias or a lack of common ground (because 99% of my medical care team clearly aren’t as into fitness as I am), but what I’ve heard since fracturing my pelvis in 2018, then struggling with side effects from radiation that affected my fitness and then breaking my foot goes something like this:

  • Why don’t you just take a long walk?
  • You just run to stay fit, right? So find another workout.
  • How about some yoga?

To which the answers are:

  • A long walk is beyond boring. Seriously boring. I would rather put that energy into mastering riding my bike.
  • I run to compete, not just to stay fit. So screw that noise.
  • I already do yoga. And Crossfit. And biking. 

I do have one doctor who’s as into fitness as I am: my endocrinologist. He's an avid mountain biker, totally loves it. And that he's my endocrinologist is also good because he’s the one who keeps an eye on my bone health. So I’ve thought about emailing him through the patient portal and asking his take on this. 


Because I really, really would like to run just one marathon.


No comments: