Sunday, July 14, 2019

Did I mention I hit a pothole and blew out my tire?

The last day of radiation treatments (Friday, June 28), I hit a huge pothole on Ward Parkway and blew out my front right tire.

If you don’t live in the Kansas City area, that won’t mean anything to you, but if you’re a KC person, you’ll know exactly what I’m talking about.

You can see more about those infamous potholes here, here, and here.

I actually live in Kansas, but I work in downtown Kansas City, which is in Missouri. So, I pay for the privilege of driving on Kansas City, MO roads every year. Those taxes are supposed to go for the wear and tear I inflict on those roads. This entire idea is a complete joke, and the potholes on Ward Parkway and really on most KC MO streets are both gigantic and prolific.

And that Friday morning, I hit one. I knew immediately it was bad and in fact it was so bad the tire deflated too fast for the low tire pressure light to come on. I was able to get off Ward Parkway and onto a side street, and even better Kent was still at home and came out to change the tire.

Yes, I do know how to change a tire. But as Kent said, the lug nuts were on so tightly that I would never have been able to get them off. He kindly changed the tire and I got to work. But because the spare is a donut and because it was under inflated, my steering was all messed up.

Keep in mind, we knew that Chloe was not doing well and I suspected we would end up taking her to the vet the next day but hoped she would somehow rally.

As I left the office that afternoon to head to my last radiation treatment, I really thought the car wasn’t going to make it there (some three miles away). That’s how bad the steering had gotten and how low the tire felt. I called Kent and told him I was taking it directly to the dealership after radiation, even though we didn’t need to have the car there until the next morning. I feared that the donut tire would completely deflate overnight and then we’d really have problems.

So I never did celebrate the end of radiation. That next day, we said goodbye to Chloe, I shelled out nearly $500 to fix my car and we zoomed around like crazy people getting ready for our trip.

More about the trip another day.

2 comments:

Wendy at Taking the Long Way Home said...

Will you be able to be reimbursed for the pothole ruining your tire? We had a giant pothole at the bottom of our driveway. I finally called the village to have it fixed.

edj3 said...

I doubt it. And honestly the aggravation at this point to do anything else about that pothole (which is ironically now fixed) is not worth it. Maybe if I didn't have so much else going on, I would.