Friday, August 24, 2018

Working out as a function of privilege

I’ve been thinking about this for the last few weeks as I’ve been swimming for exercise. While I’ve always thought of running as a (fairly) cheap form of exercise, and thus possibly one that most people could do, assuming their health permits, that’s not entirely true. Aside from gear—which can go from super cheap $50 running shoes, plus running clothes from Walmart or Target (and believe me, you can spend a whole lot more), you’ve also got to have access to a safe place to run.

I’ve run in some sketchy neighborhoods, but I know that’s not something everyone would feel safe doing. I run super early when hardly anyone is around, I vary my routes and while not all the areas have sidewalks, the streets are decently lit. I don’t run on trails (personal preference and not because of safety concerns) although there are a few trails within a short 5 to 10-minute drive. But if I lived in the inner city (and when I did live in Boston), traffic becomes a much larger concern as does dodging people out and about walking on the sidewalks.

Swimming is especially problematic, I think. First you have to have access to a pool, and then you need swim lessons. With running, even if your running form is awful, you can do it. You may end up with some injuries but barring a car accident or a cardiac event, you won’t die. You’ll just hurt. Swimming isn’t like that, so lessons are pretty much required. And those cost money. Plus if you took lessons when you were a kid, the way I did, someone has to haul you there and back. And you need a swim suit, and probably a swim cap, and maybe goggles and no slip shoes to wear around the pool. Those are pretty big economic hurdles.

Yes, I'm reusing this photo.
You're looking at $69 worth of gear.
Case in point, here’s roughly what I’ve spent to gear up for swimming:

  • Speedo one-piece suit: $78 (that was an eye opener, seems they rarely if ever go on sale)
  • Land’s End two piece tankini that’s suitable for swimming laps, so not a loose floaty thing: $50 (and that was a sale purchase)
  • EVA Birkenstock shoes (look like the old school Dr. Scholl’s I wore in high school and don’t slip): $29 (I don’t own flipflops that would work)
  • Goggles: $23 and $35. I wear the $23 version, but tried the $35 version so they can’t be returned—a sunk cost for sure.
  • Swim cap: $11
  • Gym with a pool membership: $51 a month or $612 for the year (had to commit to a full year to get that price)

So I've spent $197 for gear plus another $612 for the year of access to the pool. I can afford it, although not without a wince. And I already know how to swim or I’d have had to go to a different gym and pay for lessons.

I’m lucky and I know it.

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

The other thing that gets me about swimming is how inaccessible most of the area pools are. The one at the "Rehabilitation and Wellness Center" where I did my most recent physical therapy has 7-inch stair steps! For perspective, the biggest step I got to during therapy was a 5-inch step.