Sunday, June 5, 2011

On a mission

This week, I found a pair of shoes online to replace a pair of shoes ruined in the flood. The ruined shoes looked a little bit athletic without screaming tennis shoe, plus they didn’t have laces. I like that when I travel. Even though the shoes I found don't come in narrow, they've got a tab across the heel so I figured I'd be able to cinch it up so the shoe would stay on.

The reviews for the replacement shoes said to order a half size larger; I wear a 7 ½ or 8 depending on the shoe but these weren't available in an 8. Even with shoes that run short, I can frequently get away with a 7 ½ because my feet are narrow—it just depends on the toe box. So I took a chance and ordered them anyway.

Well the reviews were right. I love the shoes but they most definitely run short. Back they go and my hunt continues.

I've looked at Zappos and Endless and Amazon plus three or four stores here in Boston. Got any other online shoe sites you like?

Edited to add that when I check out the reviews on places like Zappos, I’m just appalled at what people tolerate in terms of shoes fitting. I'll read things like “I only had a couple of small blisters” or “they just hurt for the first few wearings.”

I completely reject that as being OK in my shoes. I’m not going to tolerate pain in my tops or pants and I sure won’t take it in my shoes. So even though shoe shopping is difficult for me, I just won’t settle for ill-fitting shoes—no matter how much the salesperson pouts at me.

4 comments:

Jen Shear said...

those are really cute shoes! too bad they didn't work out

edj3 said...

Yeah they even fit too, well everywhere except for my stupid long toes. Oh well.

Jeanne said...

Try online shoes. The site is called onlineshoes.com I think. They have a bigger selection than Zappos.

FreshHell said...

I can't order shoes. I have to try them on in real life. Every pair of shoes I've ever ordered have been sent back. I have picky feet and can instantly tell if a pair of shoes is going to be a problem. I no longer want to "break them in" or deal with weeks of blisters. If they don't feel good instantly, I don't buy them. I do not own many pairs of shoes.