Monday, January 11, 2010

Hoarding?

I realized I’m a hoarder. Oh not in the conventional A&E Hoarders sense—you won’t find piles of much of anything where I live and that’s not just because we lost so much. I tend to toss rather than keep and I’ll never be accused of being a pack rat.

Instead, when something I really love to use is running low and money is tight, I stop using that item and I hoard it. For example, I have a Clinique lip repair (fancy chap stick really) that I use because after decades of playing a double reed instrument, my lips are beyond dry. I’ve tried pretty much every lip product out there and this is by far the most effective. But at $25 a tube, it's not cheap. I’m running low so rather than going ahead and using it up, I’ve stopped using it.

I do the same thing with books. I bought an Iain Banks book in the spring of 2008 and didn’t open it until the summer of 2009.


Now I’m doing the same thing with a book sent to me by a high school friend. I haven’t even opened it—I’m hoarding it, and saving it for proper enjoyment. I will relish every single bit of this book from opening the package to reading every single word.

I doubt my version of hoarding will ever be shown on TV.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing - you are not a sufferer! Thank you for calling attention to this serious problem, that can be life threatening. Clearly it is difficult for anyone who does not suffer from a cluttering problem to understand what it is like to be paralyzed emotionally and unable to let go of things that appear to be trash to others. Thank god there is a 12 step group for people who are desperate to help themselves through fellowship, action and provides tools to let go of things one day at a time. Clutterers Anonymous http://www.clutterersanonymous.net

Ron Griggs said...

We have a friend who won't read the all the Sherlock Holmes stories because he prefers the feeling that there are always one or two still out there, waiting to be read. I suppose the world would seem a little smaller and less exciting if he finished them. This sounds a bit like your type of hoarding. I kept slowing down during the last few chapters of the last Harry Potter book--perhaps I didn't want it to end.

edj3 said...

Ron I think you're touching on the reason I hold back from reading the book--then that possibility, that potential for fantastic enjoyment is over. Enjoyed, sure, but still done. Rereading is always good but not as good as reading something for the first time.

Jeanne said...

I think you ought to go ahead and read it, unless you want to read the first one first. I'll bet you can find it in a public library: A Door Into Ocean.