Friday, February 6, 2009

Sticker shock, more list items and a form of detente

First the list items.

17. Wally likes raw carrots. If I leave my little bowl out with my baby carrots, he will get at least one out and try to eat it. He hasn't succeeded yet but he keeps trying.

18. When he's really excited, he drools a little. He did so yesterday when he really really wanted to be petted.

Now for the sticker shock. Everything is more expensive in Boston and that includes groceries, clothes, utilities--everything. Yesterday we met with an accountant to see if our situation warranted his services. You may remember I have a complicated situation left over from my first marriage and so we absolutely must have a solid professional prepare our taxes. Our accountant in Kansas City was both a JD and a CPA, plus he'd worked for the IRS so he was highly qualified for us. His fee was in the low three figures. Yesterday our estimate involved commas . . . and not on the bottom end of commas either. Yeouch. He did offer the name of someone else who is a bit more reasonably priced. I sure wish we could just do this stuff ourselves but that happy day is still in the future.

Finally the detente I mentioned. This is the first time I've seen both boys on the top perch and not fighting. Once Eddie is enthroned, Wally can't budge him, it's just an issue of mass. So I was glad to see them both there even if only for a few minutes.

No comments: