Saturday, July 13, 2013

Flip flops and me

So if we're connected on Facebook, then you know I complained about flip flops yesterday, how I wanted a pair that didn't hurt my feet. I guess I should have been more explicit about what I meant by hurting my feet -- because actually, they don't hurt my feet. At least not in the conventional sense.

I have ridiculously thin and bony feet. They're narrow (especially in the heels), with long toes and fairly high arches. They taper down to nothing from the arch to where my toes join my feet. Fortunately I wear a common size (7 1/2 to be exact) and I know the brands of regular shoes that run narrow.

But flip flops come in whole sizes. That's a problem right there because I can't wear an 8 and a 7 generally won't have enough length for my toes. Plus flip flops almost always have too much room where the thong joins the shoe bed so my feet and toes have to work really hard to keep the sandal on my foot.

I've been wearing a pair of Clarks flip flops that I got in Hilo a couple of years ago when I was there for work (similar to these). But remember the high arches I mentioned. Well all of a sudden that strap is bugging the top of my foot, actually left a bruise the last time I wore them. I have no idea why that happened but it did and so now I'm looking at my flip flops with sorrow. And I'm shopping around for a proper flip flop that works for my strange feet.

For what it's worth, I was curious about the idea that flip flops are bad for your feet. And I guess they are, if you have flat feet or bad balance or are diabetic or can't really feel your feet. None of those apply to me and I love wearing flip flops so I'm going to keep looking.

1 comment:

sabrina said...

my answer is Chacos - they mold to your feet - and you can keep them forever, because you swap out the soles and webbing when it gets old or worn down.