Friday, January 18, 2013

What's in your bag?

Today some friends were posting on Facebook about what kind of bags they like. Then the conversation turned to what they carried in their bags and then the conversation became the start of a blog meme.

Before I moved to Boston, I carried only small bags. I mean they were tiny. I had room for my wallet, lipstick, a phone, sunglasses and my keys. I reasoned that if I needed to bring more things with me, I could always toss them in the car.

That all changed in Boston—we walked everywhere and with few exceptions, we needed to be able to carry whatever we bought. So I got this bag in New York the week after Fashion Week in 2008. I’m not sure you can tell the color very well—it’s actually a dark slate blue and has been a great neutral color for me.  

Bonus picture of my gloves on the left
What I’ve loved about this bag is that it has just a single strap (double straps annoy me to pieces because one is always falling off my shoulder), the strap isn’t long so the opening is hard for a thief to get into, and the opening has a strong magnet that keeps it closed. Plus the two pockets on the inside are up fairly high and hold my phone and sunglasses perfectly.

And here’s what’s in the bag:


  • The larger pink zipper bag in the back has my phone charger (my work building is apparently made of lead because no one gets a good cell signal in there and all our batteries get sucked dry) plus my Zune (MP3) charger. I don’t usually bring the Zune into work, it’s in my car, but it’s nice to have the charger in case I’ve run the battery down.
  • The small pink zipper bag has a couple of different shades of lipstick plus a nail file and cuticle scissors, a couple of hair elastics and I think two aspirin.
  • The glasses case holds my reading glasses, and I’ve also got my sunglasses.
  • My wallet is the small blue thing you see; I got it at a Coach outlet store in Colorado in 2003 and love it to pieces.
  • My phone is above the wallet.
  • I have my fast-acting inhaler (which is pretty much empty and I need to get a refill), a packet of tissues and some kind of pain reliever we picked up in Rome when my head was killing me.
  • And my keys. 

4 comments:

Jeanne said...

Should have known you'd be a minimalist here, as elsewhere!

edj3 said...

I wondered if you'd pick up on that!

FreshHell said...

I noticed that too! Everything's all neat and tidy in little compartments. I wish to bet that way and try but....haven't gotten there yet.

lemming said...

I'd never make it.