Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Oink


Kent and I have been feeling a little pudgy lately. Yesterday morning, I woke up wondering how bad the calorie counts are for Smashburger (which we have been enjoying frequently lately), the pizza from Whole Foods (because sometimes it’s nice to just pick up a pizza), and also Unforked (a new local favorite of ours).

I looked up two of them, and really that was enough. No wonder we feel pudgy. We’ve been undoing all our healthy eating at breakfast and lunch with these dinners.




Spicy Baja (Kent’s favorite): 761
Smash fries (also his favorite): 520
Total: 1281

Spicy Baja Black Bean burger (my choice): 670
Fries (also my choice): 460
Total: 1130

Ouch.

Unforked is better. I get two Cali tacos (250 each), and Kent gets two of those plus a Conquistador (247). So my dinner is a more reasonable 500 calories and his clocks in at 747. But then we usually have a small bowl of ice cream . . .

I couldn’t find a reliable count for Whole Foods pizza that they bake but I know it’s not good news. Not with the richness of the crust, all that cheese and of course the pepperoni that's liberally sprinkled all over the top. 

So at least we know. We have a good idea on what’s making the pudge and now we can make better choices. I’m sure I’ll still have a spicy black bean burger from time to time, but I think I’ll ditch the fries. They aren’t all that good anyway. 

3 comments:

Judith said...

You may have ruined Smashburger for me for all time. My top favorite which I rarely get is the root beer float made with Hagendaz ice cream. And is that the calorie count for regular french fries or the veggie fries?

edj3 said...

The regular fries. Kent gets the ones with rosemary seasonings--not sure why they are that much higher though. Maybe more oil?

FreshHell said...

Yikes. You could make your own oven fries without too much trouble. That way you can control the oil and salt you add. Maybe not every night but...