Wednesday, August 15, 2012

A necessary evil

I don't like naps. I wake up from them very foggy and bleary, which is not at all how I wake up in the mornings. In the mornings, I'm fully functional the moment my feet hit the floor. Kent says I'm a freak because of how alert I am first thing in the morning. Maybe so, but that's my normal state of affairs upon awaking, except for naps.

This week, I have three focus groups running from 10 PM to midnight. The participants are based in Asia so it makes senses that one person (me) should flex rather than the 12 or 15 who attend each one of these groups. But it's painful for me because I am most definitely not a night owl, and I'm not getting nearly enough sleep when I do get to bed (still have my normal day job, after all).

All of that to say I took a very necessary nap yesterday. I slept for a couple of hours and then woke up all bleary and foggy. Man, if that's how the rest of you wake up every day, no wonder you hate mornings. I would too.

3 comments:

Jeanne said...

I'm with you. In fact, the older I get, the more I find that I like my first sleep cycle, from 10 pm until 1 or 2 am, the best.

lemming said...

Bleary and foggy, yup. Though eight months of waking up to "HURRAH!!!!" from the dog does help my mood. :-)

Judith said...

You might try just a 30 minute nap to get through the day. Less groggy upon awakening and it usually takes the edge off the fatigue. Love you.