Sunday, July 8, 2012

Teepee, wigwam

Have you heard that one before? Kent says this one to me as he rubs one shoulder and then the other. Then he says “two tents.” Get it?

Yeah I know, it’s pretty lame. But that’s us right now, too tense. Some of it is residual from all the arbitration and lawsuit stuff at our Boston place. Some of it is due to trying to sell that place, and a lot of it is how nervous we both are that something will happen to our Boston apartment while we live here in Kansas and can’t do anything about it, or at least not quickly.

You know that’s the worst part of trying to sell a house. It’s the not knowing if or when things will be done. You just have to keep moving on, with that specter of not selling just hanging there. Blah.

Plus we are both still settling into our new jobs. Even though Kent is still with the same company, he’s managing a lot of stuff now and in a very different way. And I’m learning to do what I already know how to do and have done—only in a very different way. So yeah we are both super tense.

Fortunately we don’t turn on each other. I am deeply grateful for that. What we do instead is hunker down, sleep a lot, have no energy and eat out too often. Well now we do that, during our Boston days with the employment fluctuations we couldn’t do that (plus everything is more expensive in Boston). But we have been here and it’s not really how we like to live. Partly it’s because we are food snobs and believe what we make is far better than most of what we can get in a restaurant. Partly it’s because restaurant portions in the Midwest are super-sized—and yes we can and do take home leftovers but let’s face it, gourmet burgers are best eaten fresh, not as leftovers, amirite?

Anyway. I head to Boston Friday to take care of a few things around the apartment. This will be a quick trip and I’ll be back Sunday afternoon. We just feel like we need to stay on top of things there and maintain a presence especially given the nastiness of some of our neighbors. 

2 comments:

Magpie said...

Oy. Here's hoping for less stress.

(Also, leftover hamburgers are routinely eaten by my husband as a cold midnight snack...he's a little weird though.)

edj3 said...

I cannot imagine eating anything as a midnight snack. I'm never up at midnight. In fact, I've always thought midnight was a fictional construct. My husband used to think the same thing about 5 AM. But now he gets up then with me.