Thursday, July 28, 2011

How does your garden grow?

I think we’re about 2/3 of the way through our growing season here in Boston so I thought I’d give you the garden score. You may recall that my crazy optimist husband planted peppers, lettuce, cilantro and cherry tomatoes along with our usual basil, mint, rosemary and oregano.

Here are the results so far:

Cilantro: fail

The cilantro plant didn’t die but of course we cut the leaves to use in cooking. And they didn’t come back, nor did the seeds he planted do much beyond barely sprouting. This is the third yard and second climate in which we’ve tried and failed to grow cilantro.

Peppers: moderately good results

We have two tiny peppers on the jalepeno plant and one on the pablano chili plant. They aren’t very big but they’re there and I can see us harvesting them sometime in August or maybe September.

Cherry tomatoes: decent results

We have probably a dozen little green tomatoes on the plant plus one that’s actually turning red. This result is the most surprising to me because we really don’t get all that much sun for all that long in the patio.

The rest of the herbs: great as usual

It’s still a mystery to me why we can grow basil like crazy but still struggle with cilantro, but that’s the way it is.

5 comments:

Jeanne said...

Basil is one of the best herbs, anyway. My friend Carol made us some bruschetta last night, and it was heavenly.

FreshHell said...

Because basil rules and cilantro drools? Blech. I hate cilantro. I always substitute parsley instead.

But, I'm glad you've gotten a few tomatoes! That's amazing.

edj3 said...

Are you one of those to whom cilantro tastes like soap? I am so sorry :-( It adds so much to so many mexican recipes.

Jolo said...

Our cilantro is growing well, for the most part, but it has been a little too hot for them lately.

Our basil grew really well, but it requires less care than the cilantro.

edj3 said...

How do you get the cilantro to love you???