Monday, June 6, 2011

Operation: Futility

That's what Kent calls our summer project; I should tell you that this project was his idea. I call it Operation: Crazy Optimist.

We came back from Kansas City very impressed with what my friend Kerry has done in her garden. In turn, Kent got inspired and while running errands Saturday without me, he bought seeds and small plants for a garden of our own. I’d show you a picture of the shelving he put up for the planter boxes but apparently my computer ate that picture.

Instead you get a picture of the tomato plant he also bought. Now, I am 95% sure we don’t have enough light for the poor thing to actually produce any fruit but what the heck—the plant cost maybe $5 and a lot of hope. We can spare both the money and the hope.

3 comments:

Jeanne said...

You probably don't have deer in your walled, urban garden. That's a good start. I just hope the ferals aren't hungry like rabbits.

Jolo said...

Brenda bought some Haskap Friday for us to plant when the fence goes down. They look neat (taste like blueberries and strawberriers). It was 15 bucks for 2 plants plus the pollinator so we are in the same place as you(afford the cash and the hope). Hopefully the city surveys soon so we will be able to increase our yard by about 200 sq ft.

http://www.haskap.ca/frequently_asked_questions.htm

KD said...

Oh how exciting! Keep me posted. I'm confident you'll do OK with lettuce/salad greens. Mine that are shaded by taller plants seem to thrive.