Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Cash rules

I read several personal finance blogs and have read more than a few books about personal finance and budgeting and money management in general. Most tend to believe that paying cash for a car is the way to go.

I never thought that was something I could do, that I would actually be able to save enough money to pay for a new car outright with cash. And it's not like I buy cars frequently. I average nine years of ownership over the last three cars (previous cars got sold earlier because of international moves so they sort of don't count). But I still didn't think I could do it.

Yes, yes, of course the point of this post is that I did do it. I did it yesterday and used my debit card to pay for my car. That part just amuses me to no end. I traded in my 2002 Honda CR-V for a 2010 Honda Fit. The CR-V made a lot of sense in the Midwest with wider roads and roomier parking places. The Fit should do well for us here in Boston and still be a good cargo hauler. I picked silver because it doesn't show the dirt as much.

5 comments:

FreshHell said...

Wow. I'm impressed.

Jeanne said...

looks nice! I paid cash for a car once when both of us were working.

edj3 said...

This will probably sound like I'm bragging and maybe that's accurate, but I'm especially proud that I saved enough while we had such employment issues. For many, many years I did not manage money well at all; this change occurred less than five years ago and I feel pretty grown up now. Took me long enough.

Judith said...

Great move - congrats on the whole thing. Love the color. Mr Prius hatchback held more than I could believe - even my bicycle with the back seats folded down. Hopefully you get great mileage also.

Jolo said...

Cool! and congratulations!