Friday, March 18, 2011

Book report

So the IFBC has finished one book, and we are busy reading the next. But I’m still thinking about our reviews and how we expressed our opinions—frankly I’m sitting here wondering how to go about saying what I liked and didn’t like without turning the discussion into a slam of someone else’s taste in books.

Let me explain.

I took a grad level essay writing class as an undergraduate, and I was one of maybe three undergrads in the class. The rest were all on the Ph.D. trail; most took the class for fun. We read several collections of essays, discussed the essays themselves thoroughly and also talked about the forms essays took. Don’t ask me to recall any of that, because I took the class 10 years ago and don’t remember.

What I do remember is that we wrote essays all the time and we all got reviewed at least once that semester by the class. Those reviews were brutal, but not for the reasons I expected. I thought we’d be critiquing the writing style and offering suggestions for improving the form of the essay but nope, that’s not what happened at all. Instead the class generally tore apart the idea of the essay and did so viciously. That seemed like dirty pool to me and really inappropriate but that’s what happened.

I’m not saying we tore apart Lemming personally over her book. But I think I need to find a better way to share what I liked and didn’t like without veering into something that may be interpreted as a personal slam.

6 comments:

Jeanne said...

I've thought about this a lot, because my field, the British 18th-century, talked about it a lot. That was the dawn of literary criticism in newspapers and magazines, and there was some very "dirty pool" going on.

Also I think about it a lot when I write reviews, as I do at least a couple of times a week, for the blog. My usual policy is to find something to like. If I can't, then there might be nothing to like. Occasionally I don't review a book when I can't find anything to like--Harper sent me a history book, She-Wolves: The Women Who Ruled England Before Elizabeth, and I didn't have anything nice to say so said nothing at all.

Then sometimes I dislike a book and decide to say why; I have a review like that coming up on Monday, and I'm thinking about it between now and then, because I know some of what I don't like is personal for the author.

Some of what was said about Lemming's choice seemed to me to be about personal taste--if you don't like gothic mysteries, then you weren't going to like that book. I think we all need to discuss more of the personal, in that case. Your taste is not better than mine, so explain why it's different.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but some of this is why I blog.

edj3 said...

I hoped you would post a comment because I always enjoy your reviews even when I’m positive I wouldn’t enjoy what you reviewed. And I learn from what you post.

Let me also say I'm not sure that I or anyone actually did get personal with the reviews, but she’s been really quiet. I also remember how the essay class was for me—I suspect those who were critical of my ideas had no clue how personal their criticisms felt to me. I had hoped for help in the structure and how to better write what I was trying to say, not attacks on the subject matter itself.

I’m kind of glad my book isn’t on Fresh Hell’s list :P I’m pretty sure that book would get a shellacking.

FreshHell said...

I also thought about as well but I didn't hate the book. Just aspects of it. I'd feel the same way about it if I'd picked it up on my own or it someone recommended it to me. My opinions had nothing to do with the person who chose it. Frankly, I'm having a tough time reading Lucky Jim because it requires a lot more concentration.

I hope she doesn't feel bad about the reviews. I don't think they're personal. Mine certainly aren't! I saw our discussion as one about a book. I like the gothic mystery angle, I just think the writer went a bit too far off the deep end, is all. Which has absolutely nothing to do with Lemming in the slightest.

FreshHell said...

Elizabeth, I think you should add your book to the list. I'll read anything. There's just no guarantee I'll like it. But I'll still like YOU. :0

Unknown said...

Dear All,

I'm not in the least bit offended, and I'm sorry if you got that impression. I picked "Water" because I found it entertaining, but I'm not going to claim that it's great literature. This has been a really awful week for me, which is why I have been quiet.

Unknown said...

P.S. That last comment came from lemming!