Thursday, October 21, 2010

It's complicated

Kent says he doesn't know all the rules, he just knows that I have rules. So for your amusement, here are a few of the Rules According to Elizabeth:
  • Coffee is meant to be drunk only in the morning and only before brushing your teeth.
  • Peppermint ice cream is the best ice cream flavor in the universe.
  • Breakfast can be served for dinner; the reverse is not true.
  • Toast and bacon should be nearly burnt.
  • Fruit should almost always be eaten raw; the exceptions can be counted on one hand.
  • Also fruit and chocolate are an unnatural pairing—both are great separately but combining them brings ruin.
  • Brussel sprouts are disgusting in any form.
  • Always clean from the top down.
  • Toilet paper should be pulled from under the roll, not over the top—this is so you use less of it. Not that we do this since we have a cat who destroys the roll no matter how it’s hung. We keep ours in a storage canister by the toilet.
  • Dust after vacuuming.
  • Meat is a condiment and not a major portion of the meal.
  • Dogs are good but cats are much, much better.
  • I can’t eat restaurant pizza now, thanks to Kent. His pizza trumps any other pizza in the world.
  • Steel-cut oats makes for a perfect breakfast; just add a little brown sugar and enjoy.
  • Most comedies are stupid.
  • Chick flicks are too.
  • The book version of something is almost always better than the movie. The only exception I can think of—and it wasn’t better although it was as good—was Name of the Rose.
  • And because of the books and movies rule, I rarely watch movies.

10 comments:

FreshHell said...

I agree with many of these, esp brussel sprouts and tp hanging technique. But, I dust before I vaccum because dusting causes stuff to float down so it can be vacuumed up.

I love movies (and comedies but not nec chick-flik or stupid-guy comedies). I have learned to view a movie based on a book and a completely separate thing. The jist of the book is there but it stands on its own and shouldn't be judged on how well it matches the book. (And in most cases the book is usually better but again....different medium).

Cats are far better than dogs. I don't really like dogs.

I don't like burnt toast and can't eat ice cream so I'll have to trust you on the peppermint ice cream thing.

FreshHell said...

"AS a completely different thing" - forgot to check my work before submitting it.

edj3 said...

I've now watched (WATCHED, not listened to) the movie Grown Ups four times in the last two weeks. It's the feature film on long flights that don't have individual entertainment centers. If I see any of that movie again, I may stab my eyes out.

Jeanne said...

Jeanne's rules:
• Coffee is meant to be smelled; it has no other purpose.
• All ice cream is good.
• Breakfast can be served for dinner; the reverse is not true.
• Toast and bacon should be lightly browned.
• All fruit is good.
• Brussels sprouts and broccoli are good but smell bad while cooking.
• Always clean from the top down.
• Dust if you notice any.
• All food is good.
• Cats are necessary. Dogs are a kind of luxury for those who have the time and energy.
• Comedies can cheer you up. Dramas are for when you’re already feeling okay. Chick flicks are for when you feel self-indulgent.
• The book version of something is almost always better than the movie, so see the movie first.

edj3 said...

You know, I didn't start drinking coffee until I was in my early 30s. I was strictly hot tea only. Now I really love my two cups in the morning but at no other time does it seem appropriate to drink.

Jeanne said...

At least we agree on breakfast foods for breakfast!

Unknown said...

Agree with Jeanne,


Coffee is meant to be smelled only. That may change after a few weeks with kiddo.

We dust before vacuuming,any dust I knock to the floor, I vacuum up.

Nothing should be nearly burnt.

You're probably right about the TP, but I still do over the top.

To expand: Most movies are stupid.

I do like dogs better.

You also forgot no nuts in the baked goods. Brownies and cookies don't need any "help."

Judith said...

- peppermint ice cream rules - I bought 8 containers last year when it was available and ate it all myself. Didn't gain weight either.
- Breakfast is my least favorite meal so I woiuld never consider it for dinner.
- Agree about toast and bacon.
- Ditto fruit, and fruit/chocolate mixes.
- Brussel sprouts are divine in any form.
- Fought with husband about dusting or vacuuming first. Googled it and found he was correct. Usually vacuum first.
- Toilet paper should roll from the top.
- Dogs leave hair on the floor - cats leave it everywhere.
- Pizza and steel cut oats aren't usually on my menu.
- I don't like most comedies, chick flicks, or movies based on books, a notable exception being Like Water for Chocolate.

- I think I agree with Jeanne more than with you - does Kent have any rules he will acknowledge?

Love you. Mom

Kent J said...

I certainly have some preferences, but I don't have a lot of rules. Maybe one: nothing that requires thought or concentration before 7am. That can be challenging living with Elizabeth. She wakes up at 5am with her brain running full speed.

edj3 said...

And do notice the time stamp on his reply: after 7AM.

Mom, I never put it together that you don't really care for breakfast foods. That explains your weird (to me) tendency to eat dinner left-overs in the morning!

And I forgot an important rule: all pet names should end in the EE sound.