Saturday, January 23, 2010

Big T, little T

First, I mean no offense by this post. This is just where my thoughts have been and what I’ve realized for myself.

Haiti’s earthquake has been well covered by the media, and rightly so. The devastation is horrendous, and only further worsens the situation in what NPR called the poorest country in the Western hemisphere. Even though I don’t watch TV, I’ve seen the images online and have heard the stories on NPR. I’m glad to see the outpouring of support from the US and other countries, because Haiti most certainly needs it.

However, and at the risk of sounding hard-hearted, I do wonder about the lack of response to tragedies that might not be quite so enormous or photogenic in scope but are as devastating to the people affected. I’m hearing reports about the risk of starvation in Haiti. What about the starvation that’s been going on in Darfur for years? Sure we heard about it a lot in 2004, but it’s rarely covered now even though the situation is still quite desperate.

Or think about Katrina. If you are like me—and I admit this with some shame—I grew tired of hearing about what the people who lived in New Orleans were/are going through. I skipped those news stories or turned the radio station to something else. And I feel like a jerk for doing that. After going through a much less devastating water disaster and seeing how long our puny destruction is taking to recover from, I’m really sorry I got impatient with that news coverage.

It’s as though we are collectively entranced by the big T tragedies. But the little T tragedies sort of escape our notice or are somehow downplayed as not being all that bad. I really regret having had that attitude.

Three weeks ago, another water main ruptured in the South End, and more people were displaced from their homes because of the water damage. I had a very different response to that information than I would have prior to October 28—although I’m not in a position to offer any real help, I also didn’t just immediately think ho hum and move on.

I hope I keep this lesson close to my heart. I don’t want to be callus to suffering, even if it’s not the kind that’s talked about all over the place.

3 comments:

Jeanne said...

I think different people make different decisions about how not to become calloused. I finally decided that I didn't have the resources to help people all over the globe, and started finding out about ways to help the people that live near me.

edj3 said...

Fair enough and to be honest, the reason I even posted this was because one of the people I know on FB was trying to lay guilt trips on others who might not be feeling wretched enough about Haiti--or at least as wretched as she thought we all ought to feel. And that just got me wondering how is it we end up feeling so much about certain tragedies and not others.

Plus I really despise attempted guilt trips.

Nancy said...

Today was a catch up day and this one caught my "respond" attention. I love a soapbox!

New Orleans has not recovered and I have personally watched the process over the years. The Musicians Village? It may have given great PR for Brad Pitt, and I am NOT questioning his motives, but there are only about 10 houses there as of August when I saw it. This is a SLOW process. Again, my sister's covered patio still has a shower curtain "door". You do what you can with the amount of reimbursement given. Regular middle class folks are rarely if ever given coverage. I know many that will never recover financially and since they are all "that certain age, 50+-", have had a great challenge with employment. Businesses shut down and moved!

Haiti? Well, my biz owner brain immediately calculated out how much it would cost to feed a couple million people for ONLY one year at a $1 per person per day. About a billion? And, they have lost water, sewer and electricity so a year seems rather short for new production of crops and money to buy food. How sustainable is our attention to this?

I agree, every tragedy has an impact far greater than a two dimensional image. It is personal and devastating no matter where it happens, and no matter to whom it happens. And, the small "t's" and the middle class are far less likely to receive any help for the same losses.

Makes me think the celebrity gifts of a million dollars while they have several homes and unnecessary luxuries are shameful. They sure get kudos for it, though.