Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Such excitement

Yesterday afternoon I put in a load of laundry, which is pretty typical for a Monday. Our apartment is small so I can hear the machine as it cycles through. When the noise stopped, I went to put it in the dryer only to realize the washer was making a weird humming noise, and was stuck trying to fill and rinse the load. The only thing that worked was the spin feature. Blah.

We have no idea how old our machines are so I figured our washer just needed some repair work. Meanwhile, I put the clothes in the dryer so they wouldn't get smelly. Then I realized the toilet was running. Sigh. OK well I knew the handle was getting a little loose and Kent just hadn't been able to take care of it yet. THEN I noticed that the water in the toilet was really brown and silty. Yikes!

But wait, it gets worse. I tried to wash my hands and holy cow, NO water came out of the kitchen faucet. OK now that was getting a bit serious--you probably remember when our toilet clogged and I had to spend the night in an overpriced hotel room. I confess, that's what ran through my head.

Kent got home and said he saw Boston Water Department repair trucks outside plus neighbors milling around, so we realized it wasn't just us, nor was it our washer (whew) but a slightly bigger issue. Thankfully the water came back on around 7, and I promptly forgot about it.

Until this morning while in the middle of my shower--I realized I had only dribbles coming out of the shower head. I've never shampooed so fast in my life. I'd shaved my right leg but the left leg remains a bit furry even now. I headed to the public library to both return books and use their bathroom, and on the way there, I checked our front door. This is what I found:











So the good news is we should have water again by 3 PM and with luck I won't have a repeat of this tomorrow. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

No comments: