Thursday, July 23, 2009

It's HERE!

As I suspected, the sewing cabinet didn't arrive until yesterday. Kent put it together for me, and said that we were spoiled by the assembly directions that come with Ikea furniture--these directions were just not the best. He still managed to put the cabinet together in about 90 minutes.

We had a small bookcase here originally (it's now in the closet under the stairs).


This is the storage piece we got from Ikea on Saturday. Although it's intended to be used as a nightstand, it works really well here as you'll see.


Here are both pieces together. They are both black, and the finish isn't really all that far off. If we lived in a really sunny place, I'd notice--but we don't!


You can see how I'm using the small storage piece--the top shelf holds my small laptop (which I also use in the kitchen since I have recipes on this one), I keep the current project(s) fabric here, and my button box and the box with my sewing machine attachments are on the bottom shelf.


Finally, this is how the cabinet looks when fully open. The top flips over onto the small storage piece which is the right height to add additional support, and the sewing machine lifts up on an air-lift mechanism. I just push a bit and it rises up by itself to the right height. The storage in the door is helpful too, and I'm sure I'll end up filling it up.

1 comment:

Kalea said...

I love how the two pieces fit together. I know you're going to love having the sewing machine where it's easily accessible.

Congratulations!