Saturday, December 19, 2015

Standard Luggage: An unsolicited review

I have a bit of an addiction to luggage and laptop bags. I always look at those items when I’m out shopping and of course I look at them online. Some people love shoes, I love luggage and laptop bags.

In 2010 when I was traveling 90% for work, I got a Briggs & Riley wheelie bag that was touted as fitting in overhead bins. That was important to me because I didn’t want to gate check a bag ever. But as it turned out, that suitcase wouldn’t fit in the tiny planes’ overhead bins. Normally that would only be annoying but on one trip, we'd encountered strong head winds so that the 2 ½ hour layover in Memphis was all used up. I stood on the jet bridge waiting for that bag and heard the gate agent for my second flight paging me. Sure enough I missed that flight so I was in the market for another bag, one that would either fit in the overhead or else fit under the seat.

I got a Timbuk2 Wingman Travel Dufflebag—Kent has one and loves it, but I have never filled it all the way up. Since this is a soft bag, that's meant my belongings slide to the middle and sag down. Talk about awkward! Plus the bag is just a bit too big for my body so I would end up bumping people. That’s also annoying.

I read about my current bag on a blog I follow. The author mentioned the bag and included a photo. I loved the look of it so I checked out all the details on the web site and I was hooked. It’s got just a slight bit of structure around all four sides, it’s a bit shorter on the long dimension a bit taller on the short dimension. It’s got a lot of well-designed and thought out pockets, plus I loved that the laptop sleeve is on the back. It converts to a backpack with ease and can also be put over the handle of a roller bag. And you can also expand the bag by a few inches. Here are the dimensions:

  • Bag dimensions: 21.5 x 13.5 x 7.5 in when zipped and 21.5 x 13.5 x 9.5 when expanded
  • Volume/Capacity: 35L zipped and 45L when expanded
  • Weight: 3.7 pounds
  • Laptop Pocket: Holds most 15" laptops and 15" Macbook Pro

I used it when we went to Boston and then Norfolk last month as a trial run for my next trip to India. I was able to pack a full week’s worth of clothing etc. and then add in some of the gifts we received for the trip home. It performed like a champ so I used it for my most recent trip to India.

Here’s a photo of my bag (plus bonus photo with Eddie photo-bombing the picture).










As with all luggage that comes with a shoulder strap, I used my Tom Bihn Absolute shoulder strap. This strap messes with gravity somehow because it makes even the most awkward messenger bag seem lighter and easier to carry.

All in all, I absolutely love this bag. I can't wait to see what other products Standard develops because they sure know what they're doing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, this looks like a good bag!